Boxing chicken was a thing back in my kampong in the 80s. It was an exciting addition to mealtime because of its shape which resembles a fist. Coated with crushed cornflakes, this dish comes packed with a delightful crunch making it the perfect snack for get-togethers.
This recipe is best with
- 12 chicken drumettes
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Oil for frying
- Thai sweet chilli sauce
- Grated mozzarella (optional)
- Make a small cut around the smaller end of the drumette. With the help of a knife , push the meat down, shaping the tip into a ball.
- In a bowl, mix chicken with tomato sauce.
- In a separate bowl, combine crushed cornflakes with chopped flat-leaf parsley.
- Dip chicken into beaten egg and coat with cornflake crumbs.
- Deep fry until chicken is cooked, and to a golden brown.
- Serve with Thai sweet chilli sauce.
- Optional : Place fried drumettes on a foiled baking tray. Sprinkle grated mozzarella over. Bake at 180C in a pre-heated oven for 5mins.