- Boil water. Blanch duck meat to remove excess fat. Hang duck to dry for a couple of hours. Spread shrimp paste over duck meat evenly. Heat wok with oil and deep fry duck meat.
- To prepare sauce: Heat wok with oil and fry shallot, garlic and XO sauce. Lastly add in Chinese wine and season to taste. Pour sauce over dish and serve.
- Taste and tell: This dish is presented as diamond-shaped slices with shrimp paste for base and duck meat on top. Each slice is garnished with XO sauce. The slices remind me of steamed yam cake.
- The shrimp paste is a winner as it is springy and flavoursome. The duck meat is fried to a crisp but there is less of the lean meat.
- XO sauce is not the liquid gravy but in dried form, distinguished by crispy shredded scallops and dried prawns.
You may also like