This is a simple gyoza recipe that anyone can make at home.
- 300g minced pork
- 12 prawns, deveined and cut in half
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 shallots, minced
- 24 pieces of gyoza/dumplings wrappers (can be bought at any hypermarket)
- 200ml diluted chicken stock/water
- oil for cooking
- Marinade for pork:
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tsp pepper
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 100ml water
- Marinade for prawns:
- A pinch of salt
- A dash of pepper
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Marinate the pork and prawns separately for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the pork with garlic and shallots in a big bowl.
- Place some pork and half of a prawn at the center of the wrapper. Line the rim of the wrapper with some water before folding it in half to stick the wrap together. Continue the same for the rest of the gyoza.
- Pour some oil in a non-stick pan, just enough to lightly coat the surface. Place the gyoza one side down on the pan on medium fire. A normal pan is able to fit 12 gyoza at a time.
- When the bottom starts to brown (around 1 to 2 minutes), flip the gyoza to another side.
- Add 100ml of chicken stock/water into the pan and cover to steam for about 5 minutes or until the water dries.
- Dish out and serve.