- 2 large mud crabs
- Enough oil for deep-frying
- 2 tbsp dried prawns, soaked and coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 stalks curry leaves
- 1 onion, cut into halve and sliced
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 150ml water
- Mix the curry, chilli and turmeric powders together with enough water to form a paste. Clean crabs, then remove and crack the pincers and trim the legs. Cut each crab into 4 pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok and deep-fry crabs until just cooked through. Dish out and leave aside.
- Leave 3 tablespoon oil in the wok, fry garlic and dried prawns until fragrant. Add curry paste and curry leaves. Fry until aromatic.
- Return crabs to the wok and add seasoning. Stir-fry briskly. Add onions and cover the wok. Cook until gravy is reduced and the dish is almost dry. Dish out and serve.