- 450g to 500g fish fillet, skinned and cut into finger-thick slices
- Dash of pepper
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Dash of salt
- 125g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100ml water
- Lightly season fish slices in pepper, ground black pepper and salt.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add in egg. Add water and mix into a smooth and thick batter. At this stage add a little more water should it be too thick; the batter should have a consistency that can coat the back of a ladle.
- Dip fish slices in the batter and deep-fry in hot oil until golden and crispy. Drain well and serve immediately.