An experienced cook of over 50 years, Makcik Salmiah Isa was the private cook for the late Tunku Abdul Rahman. Makcik Salmiah shares with us a repertoire of recipes she has accumulated over the years that has touched many hearts and warmed many bellies!
With great pleasure, we share with you the second recipe – ‘Ikan Tiga Rasa’ – from a series of 12 featuring our Trusted Brand partner, Salam Sauces.
- For the Fish
- 1 pc Fish - medium size (ikan)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder (serbuk kunyit)
- 1 tsp Salt (garam)
- 1 tsp Cornstarch (tepung jagung)
- 4-5 cloves Garlic (bawang putih), minced
- 1-2 pcs Kaffir Lime leave (daun limau purut), minced
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce (sos tomato)
- 2-3 tbsp Salam Sos Cili Manis Perisa Thai
- 1 tbsp Salam Sos Berperisa Tiram
- 1 Red Onion (bawang besar), sliced
- 1 Tomato (tomato), sliced
- Paste - Blend
- 2 Red Onions (bawang besar)
- 2 stalk Lemongrass (serai)
- 1 Red Chilli (cili merah), if prefer more spicy
- Sauce Thickening Agent
- ½ tsp Cornstarch
- ½ cup Water
- Lettuce Leaves (daun selada)
- Scallion (daun bawang), chopped
- Coriander (daun ketumbar)
- Wash & clean the fish, make some slit on both sides of the fish, season with salt, turmeric powder & cornstarch, set aside. (Tumeric / Ginger helps to reduce the fishy smell from the fish).
- Heat up enough oil in the wok & insert the fish once the oil is heated. Deep fry until cooked through & set aside on a serving plate.
- Pour the extra oil to a separate heat resistant container, leaving just enough for stir fry.
- Add in minced garlic & kaffir lime leaves, stir fry until fragrant. Then add the blended paste (and chili if desired), continue stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add in all 3 sauces, incorporate with some water to form enough gravy. Mix cornflour with water & pour into the wok to thicken the gravy.
- Toss in sliced onions & tomatoes to the sauce, stir to coat it with the gravy. (to prevent the tomato & onion from looking soggy)
- Pour the sauce over the fish. Garnish with scallion, celery stalks & coriander leaves. Serve immediately.