The original article was first published in The Star Online. Read the full article here.
This recipe is best with
- 100ml cooking oil
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 300g minced beef/chicken
- 1 tbsp kurma paste (rempah kurma)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- black pepper to taste
- 1 stalk spring onions
- 4 eggs
- 125g butter
- frozen roti canai skins
- In a pan, heat up oil and saute onions and garlic until onions turn translucent. Add minced meat and mix well. Add kurma paste and water and stir to combine. Keep stirring until the oil breaks to the surface.
- Once this happens, add salt, white pepper, black pepper and spring onions and mix. Remove from the heat.
- Break eggs in a bowl and stir well. Add meat mixture into the eggs and stir until combined.
- Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten the frozen roti canai skins until thin. Pour some of the egg and meat mixture over the skin and fold over, tucking until the parcel resembles murtabak. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- In a grill pan, heat up some oil and butter and cook murtabak parcels until crispy and browned on the outside. Serve hot.