A classic Italian dish, the Aubergine Parmigiana layers fried aubergine slices with tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 3 medium aubergines
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- vegetable oil for frying
- 640ml tomato puree
- 1 packet basil leaves, or large bunch
- 70g Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 200g mozzarella cheese, sliced or grated
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Slice aubergines lengthwise and soak in some saline water, made from a sprinkle of salt with water for 30 mins. Remove and pat dry.
- Heat up vegetable oil and fry the aubergine slices till tender. Remove and set aside.
- Saute garlic with extra virgin olive oil briefly and add in tomato puree. Add in basil leaves and season with salt . Cover and simmer for 10-15 mins. Remove from heat.
- To assemble, layer cooked tomato sauce, fried aubergines and cheeses. Repeat till ingredients are used up, finishing with some tomato sauce and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and mozzarella cheese at the top.
- Bake for 20 mins till golden brown. Serve and enjoy!