Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan western recipes, Hot Cross Bun. These buns are packed with currants & spices to give the complex flavours and nutritions!
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- 255g All Purpose Flour
- 25g Sugar
- 3g Salt
- 125ml Anchor UHT Milk
- 6g Active Dried Yeast
- 1 Egg
- 65g Anchor Butter Unsalted Softened
- 60g Currants
- 60g Mixed Candied Dry Peel
- Crossing Mixture
- 150g Flour
- Bun Spice Syrup
- 120ml Water
- 100g Sugar
- 2g Ground Cinnamon
- 2g Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 190ºC
- Sift flour then add salt and sugar to a mixing bowl.
- Slightly warm up the milk to around 37ºC and add in the yeast. Wait until foam appears to ensure there's yeast activity. Pour this in the mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and mix until a smooth dough form.
- Add the currants and mix peel. Place the doughs in a warm area and let it rise double in volume. Punch down divide and shape it and arrange it onto a baking tray. Allow it to rise again.
- Mix water and flour together to form a paste. Using a a paper cornet fill the mixture in it.
- Bring the sugar, water, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil and set aside.
- Once the bun have risen, pipe a cross over the buns
- Bake till golden brown about 25 minutes. Once bake transfer to wire while its still hot, brush with the bun spice syrup