Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan western recipes, these pumpkin pancakes are a healthier alternative to the store-bought versions and you can even customise the selection of the seeds to personal preference.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- Flour mixture (combined)
- 300g plain flour, or wholewheat flour
- 30g wheatgerm
- 1tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1tbsp baking powder, sifted
- 1/2tsp baking soda, sifted
- 2tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt, fine
- Milk and egg mixture (whisked together)
- 300ml buttermilk, or 280ml milk + 20ml lemon juice mixed
- 30ml sweetened creamer
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 50ml butter, melted
- 300g pumpkin, finely grated
- To prepare batter: Place flour mixture in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in milk and egg mixture. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture into wet ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Stir in grated pumpkin.
- To cook: Heat a lightly greased wide nonstick pan or griddle over medium high heat. Pour a small ladle of batter and cook 1½ minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the rest.