Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian and/or vegan Breakfast recipes, Steamed Buns a.k.a Mantou. You can make these steamed buns in bulk and freeze them for later! There will be a quick and easy breakfast option for you. You can use them as sandwich bread and eat them with your favourite fillings too.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- 300g low-protein flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp instant yeast granules
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- A drop of alkaline water
- 100ml water
- Sift flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Add instant yeast, sugar, oil and alkaline water. Fit with a dough hook and process at low speed for a minute. Gradually add in water and continue to process at medium speed for 4-5 minutes until a smooth dough is formed.
- Remove dough onto a lightly floured tabletop and knead for 3-4 minutes. Cover dough with a damp tea towel and allow to rise until it doubles in bulk. Cut dough into equal pieces of about 50g each. Cover with a piece of cling film and set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Roll the pieces of dough into a ball, then flatten with the palm of your hand. Brush one half of the flattened dough with corn oil. Fold over into a half moon shape. Use a spatula to cut the half moon shape dough on the edge to resemble a split flower.
- Steam the buns over high heat for 15 minutes. Serve while still soft and warm.