This recipe is best with
- 500g carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp honey
- coarse (kosher) salt
- Cut the carrots diagonally into 1/2cm-thick slices. Scatter the slices in a large skillet that is wide enough to accommodate them in a single layer. Add the water and dot with 1 tbsp of the butter bits.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until just fork-tender, five to eight minutes.
- Remove the lid and scatter the minced ginger over the carrots. Add the honey and the remaining butter. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the carrots are coated with a shiny glaze and are just beginning to caramelize. Season with salt to taste, transfer to a warm serving dish, and serve immediately.