- Caramel syrup: Melt sugar and water in a heavy non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Do not stir at this point. Mixture will thickens and bubbles and will turn to the colour of tea at the sides of the pan.
- Add boiling water and stir slowly, careful mixture is very hot. Continue stirring until syrup thickens slightly. (approx 2 cups.
- Cool completely and set aside.
- Cake: Cream butter,condensed milk, vanilla essence and salt until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs a little at a time until well mixed.
- Batter might appear curdled at this point.
- Stir in flour slowly, until well incorporated.
- Stir in caramel syrup in a thin stream and make sure batter is well mixed. Syrup tends to sink to the bottom of mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a lined cake tin and bake in a preheated 190 C oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Cake will look dark brown and almost black due to the caramel.
You may also like