- Fry the sesame seeds in a wok without oil over moderate heat.
- Keep frying until the sesame seeds start to pop. Remove and cool on a plate.
- Put the toasted sesame seeds into a food processor. Whisk to blend for 10–20 seconds then add in sugar to combine.
- Add shortening to the blended sesame seeds and sugar. Mix well together until it becomes grainy in texture.
- Put glutinous rice flour, rice flour and wheat starch into a large mixing bowl. Add hot water and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually pour in cold water to mix. (Should the dough be too dry to handle, add a little more water.)
- Knead into a smooth dough.
- Pinch out small portions of dough, flatten them, then place a teaspoon of black sesame seeds filling onto each. Wrap the filling and roll into a nice round ball.
- Bring water to a quick rolling boil in a deep saucepan. Put in the glutinous rice balls and cook until they float.
- Remove with a perforated ladle and put them into a basin of cold water for 2–3 minutes.
- Put ginger, rock sugar, screwpine leaves and water in a pot to boil. Simmer for 8 – 10 minutes.
- To serve, put 6–7 balls of glutinous rice balls into a serving bowl. Add ginger syrup and serve immediately. The balls can also be served cold, if preferred.
You may also like