Kuih cara manis is similar to kuih bahulu, but with a sugar-filled centre. This easy-to-make dessert is widely available in Kelantan, and loved by the locals for its spongy sweetness.
Zainab Ahmad Shiyuti is the co-owner of the Belanga restaurants. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 150 g wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp margarine
- 1 drop green food colouring
- 300 ml water
- 2 pandan leaves
- 50 ml coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp sugar (heaped)
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil and sugar into a blender and blitz until batter is smooth.
- Place a kuih bahulu mould on a stove over low heat, then lightly grease with oil.
- Pour the batter into the mould, filling it until it is about ¾ full.
- Cover the mould with the lid and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Lift the lid and sprinkle some sugar into the centre of each kuih.
- Cover the mould again and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the kuih from the mould.
2 thoughts on “Kuih Cara Manis (Pandan Sponge Cake)”
I love Kuih Cara Manis and all traditional kuih-muih. I am also interested to recipes of them and also delicious dishes using different bumbu.
Hi! This was what I encountered when making this :- the mould got too hot by the time I poured in my 2nd batch of batter. The bottom all turned black! Also the base (not the flower) of the kuih was not flat but it had a lump. Kindly advise how I should improve. Btw, how can I store this kuih and do I have to reheat before eating? If have to reheat, to bake or steam? Thanks