- 2 tbsp fried shallot oil
- 150g split mung beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 2 tbsp dried prawns, fried with a little oil
- 50g caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp water
- 200g glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 65ml boiling water
- A tinge of rose pink food colouring
- 40ml thick coconut milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- Steam mung beans for 25-30 minutes, or until soft. Blend with the rest of the filling ingredients to a fine paste. In a non-stick pan, add shallot oil and bean paste; fry over medium heat until paste is dry. Divide equally and shape into balls.
- Combine glutinous rice flour and sugar. Stir colouring into boiling water and pour unto flour; mix well. Add coconut milk and oil, then knead into a smooth dough. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside for 10 minutes. Divide equally and shape into balls.
- Flatten a dough ball in your palm and place a ball of filling in it. Wrap dough around filling. Press into a peach-shaped mould. Knock out the dumpling and place on a small square of greased banana leaf.
- Steam dumplings over high heat for 4 minutes, brush lightly with oil, and steam a further 5-6 minutes.
To prepare the filling:
To prepare the skin:
To wrap and shape: