- 50g dried anchovies, lightly rinsed and well drained
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 6 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp castor sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 onions, halved and sliced thinly
- 5 tbsp oil
- Sambal ingredients:
- 50g dried chillies, soaked to soften
- 7 cloves garlic
- 7 shallots
- 3 candlenuts
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1/2 tsp belacan stock granules
- Blend sambal ingredients and tamarind juice in a food processor. Remove and put aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry anchovies until crispy and golden. Dish out and drain.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add in ground sambal ingredients. Fry over low heat until oil separates. Add in sugar and salt. Continue to sauté for about 10 minutes until fragrant.
- Add in prefried anchovies and onions, then toss and fry for a minute before dishing out.