This recipe is best with
- 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Bring milk and maple syrup to just below a simmer in a saucepan. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually, add hot milk to egg mixture, whisking constantly until all milk has been added.
- Return mixture to pot and stir with a wooden spoon over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes until custard thickens and is able to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and strain.
- Let mixture cool to room temperature and then stir in whipping cream. Chill custard completely.
- Pour chilled custard into ice-cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. In the last few minutes, add walnuts and mix until blended. Scrape soft ice-cream into a container and freeze until firm, for about 4 hours.