This recipe (adapted from MSD Living Well with Diabetes cookbook) and photo are courtesy of MSD.
- 3 cups basmati rice (soaked for at least an hour)
- 6 cups water
- 1.5kg meat (chicken/beef/lamb, cleaned and cut into smaller pieces)
- 3/4 cup mixed vegetables
- 2 small tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts (whole and roasted)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 4 mint leaves
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chillies (de-seeded and split lengthwise)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp masala powder
- 4 cm cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and fennel seeds and sauté until fragrant.
- Add onions, green chillies, mint leaves, curry leaves and bay leaves. Sauté till the onions turn transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and sauté well. Add meat, stir until meat is almost cooked.
- Add vegetables, turmeric powder, masala powder and salt. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice. Give a quick stir till the rice is nicely coated. Add 6 cups of water.
- Stir and add seasoning to taste. Add 3 tsp of lemon juice to avoid rice strands from sticking together and to enhance the taste. Transfer the mixture to an electric rice cooker. Cook until the rice is done.
- After the rice is done, add a tsp of butter and mix evenly. Transfer the rice to a bowl. Add cashew nuts then dish out and serve.