This recipe (adapted from MSD Living Well with Diabetes cookbook) and photo are courtesy of MSD.
- 3cups basmati ricesoaked for at least an hour
- 6cups water
- 1.5kg meatchicken/beef/lamb, cleaned and cut into smaller pieces
- 3/4cup mixed vegetables
- 2 small tomatoeschopped
- 1/4cup cashew nutswhole and roasted
- 2 onionssliced
- 50g unsalted butter
- 4 mint leaves
- 2stalks curry leaves
- 1 1/2tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilliesde-seeded and split lengthwise
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2tsp masala powder
- 4cm cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 3tsp lemon juice
- Using brown rice (or wild rice) varieties offers a low GI* alternative, which improves sugar control and satiety.
- In order to cut down on saturated fat: use lean cuts of meat such as skinless chicken breast, lean red meat or trim the fat off lamb. Use rapeseed oil/olive oil instead of butter or ghee.
- Portion control is important in order not to consume a large amount of carbohydrates at one go, so ensure that you consume a small-medium serve, where you can also include a salad on the side.
- The mix of herbs and spices as well as the addition of lemon juice are a great way to reduce salt use.