This recipe (adapted from MSD Living Well with Diabetes cookbook) and photo are courtesy of MSD.
This recipe is best with
- 3 cups basmati rice (soaked for at least an hour)
- 6 cups water
- 1.5kg meat (chicken/beef/lamb, cleaned and cut into smaller pieces)
- 3/4 cup mixed vegetables
- 2 small tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts (whole and roasted)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 4 mint leaves
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chillies (de-seeded and split lengthwise)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp masala powder
- 4 cm cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and fennel seeds and sauté until fragrant.
- Add onions, green chillies, mint leaves, curry leaves and bay leaves. Sauté till the onions turn transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and sauté well. Add meat, stir until meat is almost cooked.
- Add vegetables, turmeric powder, masala powder and salt. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice. Give a quick stir till the rice is nicely coated. Add 6 cups of water.
- Stir and add seasoning to taste. Add 3 tsp of lemon juice to avoid rice strands from sticking together and to enhance the taste. Transfer the mixture to an electric rice cooker. Cook until the rice is done.
- After the rice is done, add a tsp of butter and mix evenly. Transfer the rice to a bowl. Add cashew nuts then dish out and serve.
2 thoughts on “Meat Biryani”
You forgot to mention the meat in the cooking part
Thanks, Sally for highlighting this. We have rectified it. We appreciate and value your input and support.
The Kuali team.