- To make the filling: Cook mashed yam with sugar and oil until mixture turns dry and leaves the sides of the wok. Add in melon seeds and olive nuts and mix well. Leave to cool.
- Divide paste into equal portions. Roll each lump into a small ball to be used as filling.
To make the pastry:
- For water dough: Mix flour, sugar, corn oil and water. Knead into a smooth dough. Leave aside to rest for 30 minutes to an hour. Divide into 100g portions.
- For oil dough: Combine flour and shortening into a dough. Leave aside to rest. Divide into small portions of 60g each.
- Wrap oil dough within the water dough. Flatten and roll up swiss-roll style. Flatten length-wise and roll up swiss-roll style again. Cut into halves. Leave aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Press the spiral centre lightly to make an indentation and flatten out the sides with a rolling pin (you should get a dome-shaped pastry).
- Use this to wrap a portion of filling by pleating the edges together. Tuck in the edges neatly.
- Place pleated side down on a greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is cooked.
You may also like