This recipe is best with
- Sweet Guinness Damper
- 2.5 cups self raising flour (375g)
- 3 tbsp caster sugar (60g)
- 70g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 tbsp molasses (25g)
- 175ml Guinness stout
- Blackberry Maple Compote
- 400g blackberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Good quality vanilla ice cream to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Sieve the flour into a large bowl and mix with caster sugar. Press the butter into the flour with fingertips to form fine breadcrumbs. Mix the molasses into the Guinness stout and stir into the flour. Knead very lightly on a floured board until just combined and form into a round cob. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- For the compote, place half the berries in a pot with the maple syrup, caster sugar and water, then bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, while pressing the berries with a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and fold through the remaining berries and lemon zest. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to cool.
- Cut a thick slice of the damper and spread with a little butter. Chargrill until toasted and warmed. Top with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and a couple of large spoonfuls of the compote.