Weather the hot spell with cold and refreshing agar-agar desserts.This recipe was first published in Amy Beh’s column, Cook’s Nook.
- flesh from 1 large, ripe mango (set aside 2 tbsp finely diced mango)
- juice from 1 orange (strained)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 17 g agar-agar powder
- 80 g caster sugar
- 600 ml water
- 1 passion fruit (pulp and seeds only)
- Place the mango flesh, orange and lemon juice in an electric blender or food processor. Blend into a puree. Remove and set aside.
- Combine the agar-agar powder, sugar and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar and agar-agar powder dissolve. Reduce the heat to low and stir for 8-10 minutes. Add the mango and orange puree and continue to boil over low heat for another 6-7 minutes. Keep stirring while it is boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in passion fruit pulp and diced mango. Pour the mixture into individual moulds. Leave aside to set at room temperature. When set, transfer to the refrigerator to chill well – you can also leave it to chill overnight.
- Remove from mould before serving.