This recipe is best with
- 200g plain flour
- 60g castor sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- A little ice-cold water, if necessary
- 100g cooking chocolate, broken into pieces
- 200g golden syrup
- 50g butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp Kahlua
- ½ tsp coffee emulco
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 170g toasted pecan nuts
- For the pastry: Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar and work in butter using your fingertips to combine the mixture until well combined.
- Add beaten egg and mix into a firm dough. Add a little ice-cold water if the mixture is too dry.
- Roll out the pastry and line a 20cm loose bottom flan tin. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- For the filling: Mix golden syrup, chocolate and butter in a saucepan. Cook over very low heat until mixture is smooth.
- Take the pan away from the heat and beat in the eggs. Add all essences and Kahlua to mix.
- Sprinkle pecan nuts into the chilled pastry case. Pour in the filling mixture and place the pie on a baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 50-60 minutes or until the mocha filling is set.