- 15ml gelatin
- 60ml water
- 2 tbsp solid white shortening
- 120ml glucose
- 22.5ml glycerine
- 910g icing sugar, sifted three times
- 2 or 3 drops clear flavouring
- Put gelatine and water in a small pan and heat gently until dissolved. Add shortening, glucose and glycerine and heat until shortening is just melted. Mix well.
- Put sifted sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour warm liquid mixture into the well and mix with your hands to a dough-like consistency.
- Transfer to a smooth surface. Knead until smooth and pliable. Add flavouring while kneading. If too stiff, add a few drops of boiling water.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Knead again before rolling out. If storing longer, refrigerate and bring to room temperature before kneading and rolling out.