Take a break from savoury flavours and indulge in this caramelised Apple Strudel with Pecans and Cream Custard, perfect for afternoon tea with friends.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Mission Foods.
- 3pcs plain pizza crust
- 400g green apple, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2tbsp butter
- 100g sugar
- 100g pecan or almonds
- 150g Dry Marie biscuits
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g icing sugar
- cream custard sauce (recipe as per below)
- mint leaves, for garnishing
- Cream Custard
- 2large egg yolks, from free-range eggs
- 2tbsp corn flour
- 25g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped, or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml milk
- 220ml creamor double cream
- Whisk egg yolks, corn flour, and sugar and vanilla seeds in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and cream then place the pan over a low heat and cook gently for 6-8 minutes, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick. Do not allow the custard to boil.
- Bake nuts in the oven (180°C) for 5 minutes and let it cool down. Chop nuts coarsely.
- Crush Marie biscuits but not into too small pieces.
- Heat butter and 100gm sugar until sugar caramelised. You can help this process with a little bit of water. Lower the heat, then add the green apples and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add in the crushed Marie biscuits, the nuts and continue cooking for another 2 minutes so it becomes thick. You can add more biscuits or sugar according to preference.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool down.
- Place plain pizza crust on a baking tray. Spread the apple strudel mixture evenly over the surface of the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle over with icing sugar and bake in the oven (180°C) for approximately 4 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven, cut the pizza into slice and serve with custard cream sauce.