- Sift flour, spice and nutmeg into a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, suet, sugar, raisins, sultanas, peel, nuts and orange zest. Mix well.
- Combine the mixture with the eggs, brandy or sherry, almond essence and milk.
- Divide the mixture between two greased 1 litre (2 pint) pudding basins. Cover with buttered greaseproof paper or foil. Pleat once to allow the pudding to rise.
- Tie string around the basin to secure the paper or foil. Use extra string to make a handle for ease of removal.
- Place in a steamer over a pan of boiling water and cover. Steam steadily for 6 hours, keep replacing with hot water. Do not allow the steamer to dry out.
- Remove from the steamer, leave until cold. Cover with foil. Store in a cool place.
- To serve: cover and steam for 2 hours. Turn out on to a warm dish. Serve with brandy butter, fresh cream or custard.
You may also like