To prepare the filling:
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, fry shallots and garlic until aromatic.
- Add soya bean paste and coriander paste.
- Fry until fragrant.
- Add pork, winter melon and mushrooms, and mix in combined seasoning.
- Fry until pork is heated through.
- Dish out and set aside.
To assemble the dumplings:
- Overlap 2 bamboo leaves lengthways then fold into a cone.
- Fill the cone with glutinous rice.
- Spoon a heaped tablespoon of filling over.
- Top up with more glutinous rice and cover with a piece of screwpine leaf.
- Press down to compress the dumpling.
- Wrap into a pyramid shape.
- Tie tightly with hemp string to secure.
- Repeat until all the ingredients are used up.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add salt and sugar then put in the dumplings and immerse them completely.
- Cook in rapidly boiling water for 2-2½ hours.
- Remove the dumplings and hang them to drain off excess water.