Kicap Manis or sweet soy sauce is a common condiment used by Malaysian in various dishes.
- 4 pieces chicken whole legs
- 100g onion (cut into wedges)
- 50g young ginger (sliced thinly)
- 6 dried chillies
- 4 bird’s eye chillies
- 2 stalks spring onion (cut into 5cm lengths)
- 400ml water
- Marinade (combined):
- 100ml kicap manis
- tbsp oyster sauce
- 2tbsp chilli sauce
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 30g rock sugar (crushed, to taste)
- Season the chicken with 3-4 tablespoons of the marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry the onion, ginger slices and chillies until fragrant.
- Add the marinated chicken and fry briefly. Add the remaining marinade and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in water and braise the chicken for 30-45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick. Add the spring onions and give it a stir. Remove from heat.