This recipe (adapted courtesy of kitchendaily.com) and photo are courtesy of MSD.
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2cup onionchopped
- 1/2cup red bell pepperchopped
- 2cloves garlicminced
- 2cups brown rice
- 1 1/3cups chicken brothreduced-sodium
- 1/2tsp dried thyme
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4tsp pepperfreshly ground
- 1large pinch saffron
- 1pound chicken thighs
- 1cup frozen green peasthawed
- 1pound white fishof your choice
- 4 lemon wedgesoptional
- Paella is considered a high-carbohydrate food due to the amount of rice used in this dish. Ensure that brown rice is used to improve your choice of carbohydrates and make sure your portions are controlled.
- Substitute chicken thighs with chicken breasts for a healthier cut option.
- Paella is a great way to combine fresh protein sources, low GI carbohydrates (i.e. brown rice) and a variety of vegetables of your choice. Vegetarian paellas are just as delicious!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter