This creamy dessert is a rich treat. This recipe was first published in Flavours.
This recipe is best with
- For Crust
- 200g flour, sifted
- 1/2tsp salt
- 45g shortening
- 45g margarine
- 4 - 5tbsp water, iced
- Coconut custard filling
- 375ml santan sawit
- 60ml cream, thickened
- 180ml water
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4tsp salt
- 80g caster sugar
- 50g cornstarch
- 1tbsp margarine
- 150ml heavy whipping cream, whisked with 60g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate. In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in the shortening and margarine till mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually add ice water to the mixture while mixing with a wooden spoon until dough is formed.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly-floured sheet of clingwrap and form into a disc. Lightly flour the top of the dough and place another sheet of clingwrap on top. Roll dough out till 1/8-inch thick.
- Remove the top piece of clingwrap, lay dough across pie plate and remove the bottom piece of clingwrap. Press dough down lightly. Lightly prick the dough with a fork. Bake at 200˚C for 10 - 12 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.
- Pour all ingredients except margarine into a saucepan over medium-low heat, and bring to a boil, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add margarine.
- Spread custard into pie crust. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and chill until set, about 30-45 minutes.
- Whisk vanilla into whipped cream until just combined.
- Spread cream on top of coconut custard. Chill until ready to serve.