- 1 cup rice of choice, cooked
- 1/2 cup mung dhall, soak for about 10 minutes
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp garlic paste
- 1 potato,cubed
- 1 small carrot,cubed
- 1/2 cup long/french beans, cut into 1/4 in length
- 2 handfuls of cabbage, chopped coarsely
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 sprig curry leaf, sliced or whole
- 3 - 4 cups water, less or more if required
- Spice Mix:
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin
- 1/2 tsp whole fennel
- 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Boil dhall in 4 cups of water, and remove froth that comes to the surface.
- When dhall is almost cooked, add 3/4 of the diced onions, garlic, ginger,vegetables and salt.
- Once vegetables are cooked, remove from fire and add the cooked rice. Mix the dhall into rice thoroughly.
- For tempering: Heat a tablespoon of oil, add mustard seeds,onions and curry leaves and fry the mixture over very low heat till onions turn golden grown.
- Remove from heat and immediately add to the dhall and rice mixture and cover the pan, so that the tempered mixture releases its aroma.
- Serve when hot.
- Note: This a beginners recipe and fool proof.Add water as required to get the consistency you require.
You may also like