For perfectly cooked nasi dagang, use equal amounts of liquid (in this case, coconut milk) and rice.
- 1kg nasi dagang rice
- 750ml thin coconut milk
- 1tbsp fenugreek (halba)
- 50g ginger, julienned
- 10 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250ml thick coconut milk
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt or to taste
- Wash the rice in several changes of water until water runs clear. Place rice in a large bowl and pour in enough water to reach 5cm above the rice. Allow to soak for 2-3 hours. Drain.
- Prepare steamer and steam rice for 20-25 minutes, or until half-cooked.
- Take rice off the steamer and stir in the thin coconut milk, followed by the halba, ginger, shallots and garlic. Set aside, covered, for 2-3 hours.
- Reheat steamer. Mix thick coconut milk with the sugar and salt, and stir this through the rice. Steam until rice is well cooked. Serve warm with Gulai Ikan Tongkol, Fish Sambal and Spicy Eggs.