This recipe is best with
- 200g (7 oz) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- cardomom pods
- 3 cinnamon stick 5-cm (2-in) length
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 5-cm (2-in) ginger knob, peeled and bruised
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- tomatoes 3, chopped
- 150g (5 oz) tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g rice, washed and drained
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1.25 litres (40 fl oz/5 cups) chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 100g cashew nuts, toasted
- Heat ghee in a pot. Sauté onion, cardamom pods, cinnamon, garlic, ginger and chilli powder until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Put in bay leaves and rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Add Tabasco sauce, chicken stock and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Cover the pot, cook over low heat for 10 minutes or in the oven for 20 minutes at 180°C (350°F).
- Garnish with toasted cashew nuts and serve with Chicken in Spicy Tomato Sauce.