Lotus root is often cooked in soups during Chinese New Year, but how about adding another alternative to the dinner table? This recipe was first published in Flavours.
- 200g lotus root, peeled
- 3tbsp white vinegar
- 3tbsp sugar
- 125ml water
- Salad dressing
- 1tbsp fish sauce or to taste
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp palm oil
- 3tbsp plum sauce or palm sugar; or to taste
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 oranges, grated
- 100g chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 15 kumquats, quartered and seeds removed
- 3tbsp peanuts, roasted; chopped
- 1/2cup coriander leaves
- 1tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Marinate lotus root slices with marinade ingredients for 1 to 2 hours. Drain lotus root slices in a colander just before serving.
- In a bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Toss with lotus root slices and the rest of the ingredients. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately.