This recipe is best with
- 1 egg per sandwich
- Oil for frying eggs
- Wholemeal or white sliced sandwich bread
- Butter or margarine
- Sliced cheese
- Sliced smoked turkey, pastrami or any other cold cuts
- Lettuce leaves (rinsed and patted dry)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onion
- Sliced cucumber
- Sauces and spreads:
- Chilli sauce
- Mustard (preferably whole grain)
- Heat a teaspoonful of oil over medium heat in a small frying pan and crack egg into the pan. Fry for 2 minutes per side or until white is lightly browned and yolk sets. Remove fried egg onto a plate and allow to cool slightly.
- Toast bread until golden brown and spread lightly with butter or margarine. Assemble your double decker sandwich as desired, using 3 slices of toast per sandwich and layering the fried egg, cheese and sliced cold meat with the salad vegetables, mayonnaise, mustard and chilli sauce (which should go over the egg). Cut diagonally with a sharp knife (preferably a serrated bread knife) and serve immediately. A simple tossed green salad makes a great accompaniment.