To prepare stock:
- Bring water to boil; add the chicken, pork and peppercorns. Simmer over low hear for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Strain stock and set aside. You should get about 1.5 litres of stock; if less, top up with water.
To prepare the satay gravy:
- In an electric blender, blend the spice paste ingredients finely.
- Heat the oil in a wok and saute the spice paste until fragrant, stirring continuously to prevent burning.
- Add the stock, palm sugar, salt and ground peanuts - you can add more or less ground peanuts, according to taste.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Pour the gravy into a pot.
To prepare food skewers:
- Thread all the remaining ingredients onto the bamboo skewers as in preparing sticks of satay, so there will be sticks of beef, bread eggs, mushrooms, etc.
- Make sure to leave a section of the skewer unthreaded to serve as handle.
- Set aside, covered with cling film, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Bring the satay gravy to a boil and keep it simmering over a portable stove placed in the centre of the table.
- Arrange platefuls of skewered food around the hot pot.
- Cook by dipping into the simmering satay gravy; stir the gravy occasionally to prevent clumping at the bottom.