- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 150g castor sugar
- 250ml thick coconut milk, from grated white of 2 coconuts
- 3-4 screwpine leaves (pandan leaves), knotted
- Break eggs into a mixing bowl. Add in egg yolks and beat by hand until yolks and whites are well blended.
- Add sugar and keep on stirring continuously to dissolve the sugar. Slowly add thick coconut milk and continue to beat until sugar is fully dissolved and coconut milk is well blended.
- Strain mixture into a heatproof container. Place container into a double-boiler. Add screwpine leaves to the mixture and steam over gently boiling water, stirring with a wooden spoon for approximately 40-50 minutes non-stop or until mixture turns into a thick custard mixture. Discard the screwpine leaves. The mixture should now be golden brown. If not, fry one or two tablespoons sugar separately and stir in the caramel. Add this to the kaya to achieve the golden colour. Cool, then bottle the kaya in jam jars.