This delicious and aromatic sambal belacan is worth whipping out your pestle and mortar for.
- 5 pcs red chillies
- 6 pcs bird's eye chillies (cili padi)
- 5 pcs calamansi lime (limau kasturi) (small sized)
- 1 in belacan (dried shrimp paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of salt (to taste)
- Roughly break red chillies and bird's eye chillies in pieces, and pound in a pestle and mortar together with the belacan.
- Once the paste is smooth, add sugar and salt and continue pounding. (Do not add sugar or salt earlier, as salt will draw out the water from the chillies)
- Squeeze the calamansi limes, and add the juice to the mix. Stir well and serve.