Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’! In this ‘Chocolate Chiffon 3 Ways’ series, transform your leftover chocolate chiffon cake and buttercream into these irresistible Chocolate Cake Ball treats. You could also make it from scratch!
Save this recipe to refer to later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco | Lotus’s.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
Save more by buying the meal planner series!
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- 70g milk
- 5nos egg yolks
- 60g unsalted butter (melted)
- 2g vanilla essence
- 60g cake flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2g baking powder
- 5nos egg whites
- 100g castor sugar
- 2g salt
- Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 100g egg whites
- 80g castor sugar
- 1-2g salt
- 220g unsalted butter (cold but slightly softened)
- 3g vanilla essence
- 25g cocoa powder
- 40g hot water
- Chocolate Coating
- 400g cooking chocolate
- 40g vegetable shortening
- Additional salt for topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk,, egg yolks, melted unsalted butter and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add in sifted cake flour, dutch cocoa powder and baking powder. Mix till no lumps of flour are visible and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, use a hand mixer and whisk the egg whites till it starts to foam. Gradually add in the salt and castor sugar, whip till it forms a stiff peak.
- Incorporate 1/3 of the meringue into the egg flour mixture. Once the mixture is mixed well, fold in the rest of the meringue gently.
- Transfer over to the chiffon mold and bake at 170 deg C for 35-40 minutes.
- Once baked, place the chiffon upside down on a cooling rack. Let it cool completely before removing from the mold.
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder and hot water till it is well combined. Set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over a simmering pot of water over medium heat.
- Make sure not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Whisk the egg white mixture till the sugar dissolves, approximately 4-5 minutes
- Temperature read on thermometer should be at 70 deg C or you could lightly dip your finger in and if it feels too hot to stay, it should be ready to whip.
- Bring over to the mixer and whisk till it forms a stiff glossy peak. At this point the bowl should also feel cool too touch.
- Switch to a paddle attachment and gradually add in your cold but slightly softened butter in with the mixer on low to medium speed.
- After all the butter has been added, increase the speed to medium high and fully beat in the vanilla essence and cocoa mixture, about 30 seconds.
- Once done, your chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream should be look glossy and silky smooth.
- In a bowl, crumble the chiffon cake. Gradually add in the buttercream till the cake crumbs are able to hold its shape when round up into a ball. It should not crumble when rolling.
- Place the rounded cake balls on a lined baking tray and freeze for 20-30 minutes
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and vegetable shortening using a water bath or microwave.
- Poke each with a bamboo skewer and dip into the melted chocolate before placing back onto the lined tray
- Garnish with some sea salt on top if you'd prefer. Enjoy!