Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’! In this ‘Malaysian Beef Recipes’ series, this Daging Masak Hitam recipe has the ‘everything’ flavour you love, and an amazing side for your briyani and nasi minyak.
Save this recipe to refer to later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco | Lotus’s.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
Save more by buying the meal planner series!
- 200g striploin (cut into slices)
- 2Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- Blended Spice Paste:
- 2nos garlic
- 1nos serai (bruised and sliced thinly)
- 2cm ginger (sliced thinly)
- 1Tbsp chili paste/cili giling
- 1/2nos big onion (chopped roughly)
- 1/2nos cinnamon stick
- 2nos star anise
- black pepper
- 2Tbsp oil
- 3Tbsp kicap manis
- 1/2cup water
- To remove the gaminess of the beef, mix in 2Tbsp of all-purpose flour, and some water till it forms a thick batter. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ingredients for blended spice paste. Blend till smooth and set aside.
- Once 30 minutes is up, rinse the beef and drain the excess water. Marinate with a pinch of salt and pepper followed by cumin and coriander powder.
- In a pan, heat up the 2Tbsp of oil and fry the cinnamon stick and star anise, followed by the blended spice paste. Approximately 4-5 minutes or till fragrant.
- Then, incorporate the beef and 1/2 cup water before seasoning with some salt, pepper and kicap manis.
- Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes and its ready to be served. Enjoy!