Welcome to ‘Shop Kuali Recipes’, proudly brought to you by Kuali and Tesco, our trusted partner.
Shop Kuali Recipes is an answer to busy professionals out there looking for convenience when shopping for quality ingredients, paired with a simple yet delicious recipe. Bundled recipes chosen are meal planners designed for two persons cooking for three times a week. Cooking for more? Simply double up the recipe ingredients!
In this ‘Malaysia Boleh Masak’, we share two very popular Malaysian dishes, paired with a simple tomato egg for the week.
Ayam Masak Merah – A Malaysian Favourite.
Daging Masak Kicap – Once prepared, this dish tastes great after a few days as well.
Simple Tomato Egg – Paired with two amazing Malaysian dishes, this dish is an all-time favourite.
Save this recipe to refer later and check out at our Trusted Partner, Tesco.
Want more meal planners? Check out the full listing at Shop, Cook, Eat, Repeat.
- For Simple Tomato Egg
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, diced
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Spring onion for garnish
- For Ayam Masak Merah
- 1kg whole chicken (cut into 10 pieces)
- 1tbsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp salt
- Cooking oil
- Ground spices - 10 shallots (peeled)
- Ground spices - 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- Ground spices - 2in old ginger (peeled)
- Ground spices - 10 pcs dried chillies
- Ground spices - 2tbsp coriander powder
- Ground spices - 1tsp cumin powder
- 5tbsp cooking oil
- 1inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 small bottle chilli sauce
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 10 red chillies (cut half)
- 2 tomato (cut wedges into six)
- 5in pandan leaf
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- For Daging Masak Kicap
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 3cm cinnamon stick
- 5 buds cloves
- 5 pods cardamom
- 1 tbsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 5 tbsp kicap manis
- 20g tamarind pulp
- ½ cup cold water
- ¼ tsp salt to taste
- Ground spices - 5 bulbs shallots
- Ground spices - 3 cloves garlic
- Ground spices - 3cm ginger
- Ground spices - 10g dried chillies
- Ground spices - ½ cup hot water
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic and tomato. Stir fry for 1 minute and add tomato sauce. Continue fry for another minute.
- Whisk the eggs then add salt and pepper. Pour the egg into the pan.
- Quick stir fry till eggs are scrambled. Dish up and garnish with spring onion.
- Marinated the chicken with turmeric powder and salt.
- Deep fry until 3/4 cooked, put aside.
- Blend the ground spices with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Heat oil until hot, sauté ground spices until fragrant.
- Add in cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and chilli sauce, stir-fry well until the tomato paste becomes oily.
- Then add in the chicken, pandan leaf and lemongrass together.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and gravy turns thick.
- Lastly add evaporated milk, chillies and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and sugar. Serve.
- Grind the spice blend into a fine paste. Heat oil in saucepan and temper the curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom until fragrant.
- Then add the spice blend, fennel, cumin and tamarind pulp and sauté further until fragrant.
- Add the sliced beef and sauté until lightly cooked. Stir in kicap manis, water and salt to taste, then lower the heat and simmer for about 2 hours until gravy thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve.