In this recipe series of ‘Berry Special Recipes’, this recipe is our quick take on Swedish Meatballs, perfect for nights when you need dinner on the table ASAP.
- Mixed Berry Jam
- 130g frozen mixed berries
- 10g sugar
- 30g water
- pinch of black pepper
- (optional) 15g balsamic vinegar
- 1 pack frozen meatballs
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Meatball Brown Sauce
- 20g butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 nos cubed chicken stock
- 250g water
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small pot, combine all the jam ingredients and let it simmer on medium to low heat for 8-10 minutes. It should have reduced and thickened by then. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a stainless steel pan, heat up the 2 Tbsp of cooking oil and pan fry the meatballs till they're nicely browned. Set them aside and do not clean your pan.
- Continue from the pan used to cook the meatballs, melt 20g of butter and subsequently stir in the 2Tbsp of flour to form a roux/paste. This will be the base to thicken your sauce.
- Add in the 250g of water and whisk till no lumps are visible. Season with the cubed chicken stock, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour it over your meatballs and serve with the mixed berry jam made earlier. Enjoy!
- If lumps in the sauce are still visible, you could strain the mixture for a smoother consistency.
- Don't worry if you have brown bits on your pan after frying the meatballs. Cooking the sauce with it is what gives it the flavor and brown color.