‘Berry Special Recipes’ series:
Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowl – This antioxidant packed berry smoothie bowl makes a great breakfast or snack when you’re in a hurry and need something nutritious!
Meatballs & Mixed Berry Jam – Inspired by Swedish Meatballs, this recipe is our quick take on them, perfect for nights when you need dinner on the table ASAP.
Mixed Berry Crumble – This easy and fail-proof berry crumble recipe that you could make with just frozen berries and homemade oat crumble topping. Easy enough for anyone to make and serve with pride.
- Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowl
- 2 nos frozen bananas
- 100g frozen mixed berries
- 30g rolled oats
- 200g soymilk or liquid of choice
- Handful of granolas
- Fresh berries of choice
- Meatballs & Mixed Berry Jam
- Mixed Berry Jam:
- 130g frozen mixed berries
- 10g sugar
- 30g water
- pinch of black pepper
- (optional) 15g balsamic vinegar
- 1 pack frozen meatballs
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Meatball Brown Sauce:
- 20g butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 nos cubed chicken stock
- 250g water
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Mixed Berry Crumble
- Mixed Berry Filling:
- 250g frozen mixed berries (slightly thawed)
- 20g sugar
- 20g all purpose flour
- Crumble Topping:
- 60g rolled oats
- 60g all purpose flour
- 40g sugar
- pinch of salt (1g)
- 40g cold unsalted butter
- 4 nos ramekin bowls
- some vanilla ice-cream to serve with
- Blend the frozen bananas, berries, rolled oats and soymilk till the mixture reaches a soft serve consistency.
- Top with some granolas and fresh berries if you'd like. Enjoy!
- Gradually add soymilk if you need to or if the mixture is unable to blend further.
- You could opt for your choice of liquid like plain water or any milk of choice
- In a small pot, combine all the ingredients and let it simmer on medium to low heat for 8-10 minutes. It should have reduced and thickened by then. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a stainless steel pan, heat up the 2 Tbsp of cooking oil and pan fry the meatballs till they're nicely browned. Set them aside and do not clean your pan.
- Continue from the pan used to cook the meatballs, melt 20g of butter and subsequently stir in the 2Tbsp of flour to form a roux/paste. This will be the base to thicken your sauce.
- Add in the 250g of water and whisk till no lumps are visible. Season with the cubed chicken stock, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour it over your meatballs and serve with the mixed berry jam made earlier. Enjoy!
- If lumps in the sauce are still visible, you could strain the mixture for a smoother consistency.
- Don't worry if you have brown bits on your pan after frying the meatballs. Cooking the sauce with it is what gives it the flavor and brown color.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients from the filling ingredients and let the flour and sugar coat the mixed berries. It helps in thickening the filling during baking. Distribute evenly among the ramekin bowls and set aside
- Moving on to the crumble for topping, combine all the ingredients except butter. Make sure they're well combined before adding in the cold butter to rub, till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Distribute evenly among the berry filled ramekin bowls and bake at 180 deg C for 35-40 minutes.
- Once done, let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving with a heap scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Enjoy!
- If you are not planning to serve with vanilla ice cream, you could increase your sugar in the filling by 20g for starters.