This recipe is best with
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 rashers bacon, rind removed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100ml white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 300g potatoes, skinned and chopped
- 500ml fish stock
- 250ml milk
- 65ml whipping cream
- 600g clams, cleaned and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put butter and oil in a saucepan. Heat over medium fire before adding onion, garlic, celery and bacon. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Pour in wine; cook for a minute. Add bay leaves, potatoes and fish stock. Bring to a simmering boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove saucepan from the fire and use a handheld electric blender to pulse the mixture to partially puree the soup.
- Return the pureed soup to the heat. Adjust seasoning. Add the clams and milk. Cook until the clams have opened. Discard any unopened clams. Serve the soup hot. Add a dash of coarsely ground black pepper.