This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 3tbsp red palm oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cauliflower, diced
- 2cans tomatoes, crushed and juice reserved
- 1 bay leaf
- 300ml water or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100ml santan sawit
- Heat oil in a heavy-based pot. Sauté onion, carrot and celery over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add cauliflower, tomato and tomato juice. Add the bay leaf and water or stock. Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Blitz the mixture with a stick blender till smooth. Reheat and season to taste. Just before serving, pour the santan sawit into the soup and stir through. Serve with toasted bread or crackers.