A great snack for parties and large groups – a favourite among Malaysians.
- 1 small can sardines in tomato sauce, well drained
- 1 sprig curry leaves, sliced thinly
- 25g onion, diced
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder
- 150g potatoes, diced and steamed till soft
- 50g California raisins
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, cut each egg into 8 slices
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Water dough:
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 160ml water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Oil Dough:
- 140g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g margarine
- Drain sardines from the sauce. Mash with a fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan. Saute curry leaves till fragrant.
- Add onion and curry powder. Fry briefly then add potatoes, sardines and seasoning. Add raisins and toss until well combined. Dish out and leave aside to cool completely.
- To prepare water dough: Sift flour into a bowl. Stir in sugar and add shortening. Combine water and lime juice and add to the bowl. Knead into a soft dough. Cover dough with a clean tea towel and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- To prepare oil dough: Sift flour into a clean bowl. Stir in salt then add margarine. Knead into a dough. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide each dough into 3 portions. Wrap a portion of oil dough inside a portion of water dough.
- Roll out into a rectangle. Roll up swiss roll style then flatten and roll swiss roll style again (repeat these steps two more times).
- Slice each portion into 7 equal discs.
- Flatten out each small disc into a thin circle (you will see spirals once you roll out the dough).
- Spoon a small portion of filling into the centre of each pastry circle and add 1 slice of hard-boiled egg.
- Fold the pastry over into a half moon. Secure the filling by pinching the edges together. Repeat until all the pastry and filling is used.
- Heat enough oil in a wok over medium heat. Deep-fry the puffs till golden brown. Drain on crushed paper towels.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!