THE bahulu gulung, also known as kaya Swiss roll or Hainanese kaya roll, is usually available at old kopitiam eateries, alongside the butter cake, kaya puff and other Hainanese confectionery.
A good kaya Swiss roll is a rare find these days as many old-timers have passed away and the tradition of making this sweet treat is not carried on by the next generation.
While the Swiss roll from other regions may be filled with fruit, jam, whipped cream and/or buttercream, the bahulu gulung is truly Malaysian because it is filled with kaya.
Make sure you use the freshest kaya you can get for best results, or better still, make your own.
- 3 large eggs
- 85 g castor sugar
- 85 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp warm water
- 1 tbs icing sugar
- 1 tbs cooking oil
- 125 g kaya
- Preheat oven at 225°C.
- Line 10x15 inch baking tray with baking parchment and grease with 1 tablespoon cooking oil.
- Whisk eggs with castor sugar until white and fluffy, about 5 minutes in a stand mixer or 15 minutes with hand mixer.
- Sift flour and gently fold into egg batter in small batches. Add warm water in the last batch and fold in until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into baking tray and spread out evenly into the corners and levelling the top.
- Bake in centre rack of oven for 8 minutes until top is lightly golden.
- While cake is baking, place a parchment paper on a damp towel and dust with icing sugar.
- When cake is ready, remove from oven and turn over on to the dusted parchment.
- Peel off bottom parchment and trim away any jagged edges if necessary.
- While cake is still hot, preroll cake to prevent cracks.
- Unroll the cake and spread kaya all over it.
- With the help of the parchment paper, roll cake again into a tight coil. Keep cake wrapped in parchment to cool.
- Cut into 1-inch slices and serve.
4 thoughts on “Bahulu Gulung (Kaya Swiss Roll)”
I love bahulu! And now i got so excited that in comes in Swiss Roll kind!
I made this today. It is absolutely lovely. Taste like the bahulu kaya roll i used to buy. Slightly dry, maybe i baked too ling. 10 min? I used half the recommended baking tray though.
Forgot to say..