Decided to try the yummy Kuih Lapis since it’s been quite difficult to get to our favourite store these days. We bought the primary colours red, blue and yellow so we could mix our own version of purple, pink, green and orange! So the colours are truly internal creations. Apart from peeling the kuih lapis, the next best part is mixing the colours – try this recipe with your family!
We chose a 6 inch pyrex glass bowl, oiled, so it sits nicely in our electronic steamer and the portion is just right to last us for two days! Note that we also chose to cut down on sugar intake so we are using only 80g of sugar. Do feel free to add more if you want a sweeter note.
- 200 ml water
- 80g castor sugar
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp or just a pinch of salt
- 85g tapioca flour
- 70g rice flour
- Star brand food colouring - yellow, red / cochineal and blue
- Mix all the ingredients, except the food colouring together in a bowl. Oil the glass bowl or prepared container in advance.
- Prepare 4 other smaller bowls to mix the coloured layers. Distribute the mixed ingredients (currently white in colour) evenly into the bowls.
- Use a chopstick to dip into the food colouring in order not to over pour.
- To mix purple, combine red and blue. To mix pink, use very little cochineal. To mix green, combine blue and yellow. To mix orange, combine red and yellow.
- Open the steamer, let the smoke dissipate and ensure that the layer has hardened and ladle in the 2nd layer. Steam for 5 mins.
- Repeat with all subsequent layers, until the final layer, which is steamed for 7 mins.
- Remove from steamer, let cool.