Pongteh Chicken is a stew that either can use chicken or pork cooked with tauchu or salted fermented soybeans paste and gula Melaka. It is usually saltish-sweet and can be substituted as a soup dish in Peranakan/Nyonya cuisine. This halal version incorporated chicken to make it pork-free so all Malaysian can enjoy this heritage food too.
This dish is best prepared with Angel Light Soy Sauce (Selected) and Angel Brand Bean Paste (Minced).
- 1 whole chicken (generally will weigh about 1 to 1.4kg) - chopped small
- 5 pcs medium potatoes, quartered
- 5 medium red onions, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1cm ginger, sliced
- 1 tbsp Angel Brand Bean Paste (Minced)
- 3 tbsp Angel Light Soy Sauce (Selected), according to personal preference
- 2 tbsp gula melaka, shaved
- sprinkle of pepper
- red chilli, sliced
- Add in ginger slices, saute lightly. Then add in chopped onions and saute till fragrant and golden brown.
- Add in chopped garlic and give it a few stirs. Then add in bean paste and continue sauteing.
- Add in chicken pieces and potatoes then saute till fragrant and golden brown. Remember to toss them from time to time to prevent burning.
- Pour in light soy sauce and top up with water till chicken pieces are 3/4 covered. Cover and cook for 15 mins till chicken pieces are tender and the sauce is reduced to about half.
- Add in gula Melaka and pepper. Season accordingly. Then garnish.